This site is no longer being maintained, unfortunately.
Most of the pages haven't been modified for years.
for the only part of this site
that is being kept up to date.
bottom of page
previous episode |
list of episodes |
- Production Date:
- Apr 91
- Broadcast Date:
- ?? ??? 91
- Running Time:
- 11:07 + 14:07 = 25:14
- ``Clarissa Darling News Network''
- ``The Latest on Mom''
- Plot Synopsis:
- Janet gets testy when an old friend from her dancing days --
who was never as serious about dancing as Janet was --
comes to town to give a performance.
- Clarissa is reporting everything in anchorwoman fashion for CDNN,
the Clarissa Darling News Network;
Ferguson feigns an interest in learning Swahili
so he can get money to buy a rock-n-roll tape at the music store.
- Opening Scene:
- ``Hello. I'm Clarissa Darling with me-myself-and-I-witness news coverage
of all the news that matters --
and some of the news that doesn't really matter,
but it matters to your anchorperson, me:
Clarissa Darling, on the Clarissa Broadcasting System.
Naa... Too dorky!''
/ Four things I've thought of doing with my life (see
- Closing Line:
- ``Just think -- if Ferguson gets really good,
we can ship him off to Yugoslavia as a translator!''
[Then Janet says,
``Okay, try, um... `Come, Yasha, fetch the ball',''
and Ferguson translates.]
- Other Cut-away Segments:
- Computer Stuff:
- Sam's Entrances:
- ``Hi, Sam.'' ``Here are those books you were looking for.''
- Names for Ferguson:
- the creep
- dear brother
- bug boy
- Ferguson ??
- Ferguson ??
- Marshall's Designs:
- Janet's Work:
- Ellis Weiner, Alexa Junge
- Maureen Thorp
- Guest Players:
- ?? as pizza delivery boy.
- Opening Credits:
- Closing Credits:
Created By Mitchell Kriegman
Produced By Mitchell Kriegman
Story Editor Mitchell Kriegman
Written By Ellis Weiner
Director Maureen Thorp
Line Producer Sarah Condon
Associate Producer Chris Gifford
Theme Song Performed By Rachel Sweet
Theme Music Composed By Rachel Sweet
Production Design Byron Taylor
Lighting Director Dick Weiss
Costume Designer Lisa Lederer
Creative Consultant Alexa Junge
Production Manager Jim Moroney
Unit Manager Jacqueline Davies
Art Director David Ellis
Associate Director Richard Steir
Casting Rich Ross
Talent Coordinator Todd Denkin
Stage Manager Hank Neimark
Post Production Supervisor Donick Cary
Technical Director John M. Lutz
Technical Manager Tim Rounds
Audio Mark Schultz
Video Pete McIntyre
Cameras Rudy Carames
Boom Operators Mark Deadman
Bob Van Dorn
Lighting Board Operator Sean Mallon
Video Tape Lonnie Blackburn
Utility Steve Bunnell
Paintbox Artist St. Mars
Editor Rick "Nice Guy" Fernandes
Offline Editor Karyn Finley Powell
Post Production Sound Mixer Grant Maxwell
Post Production Coordinator Cynthia Albanese
Chyron Francie Elikan
Electricians John Boyd
Make Up Liz Spang
Hair Tish Simpson
Wardrobe Supervisor Jackie Lafler
Wardrobe Assistant Megan Hart
Props Wayne Spoor
Stagehands Ed McMillan
Production Coordinators Randy Koshinskie
Production Accountant Diane English
Production Clerk Elizabeth Kahan
Continuity Margo Kent
Production Assistants Beth Cooze Baggett
Video Game Created By Tim Burns
Additional Music By Dan Vitco
Incidental Music Roma Baron
Children's Education Provided By On Location Education
They Might Be Giants Poster
Courtesy Of Elektra Entertainment
Special Thanks To Jen Mac Industries
Supervising Producer Bill Aiken
Executive Producers Brown Johnson
(C) 1991 MTV Networks
- Character Names:
- Dorinda Wilson McWhorter,
old friend from Janet's dancing days
- Dangerous Debbie, Sam's mother's skating name
in Las Vegas roller derby
- Real-World References:
- Jane Pauley,
Sally Jesse Raphael,
The Red Shoes,
The Turning Point,
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore,
song -- see ``Lyrics'', below).
- Lyrics and Poetry:
- Ferguson sings (more or less) a little of INXS's ``Suicide Blonde''
[from their 1990 album X] --
and they actually play some of the song without any acknowledgement!
(How'd they get away with that?)
- (Thanks to Eric Last)
1. Colors on Black Legins, Blue Top with patterns, Navy Blue Blazer.
2. Black Sweatshirt, beige overcoat.
3. Pink with Black Dot Legins, Pink Top, Browny yellow jacket.
4. Red Hat, Black Overalls.
5. Blue Dress with patterns, Colors on Black legins.
6. Colored Flowers on Black Top, Blue Denim Shorts.
7. Blue Jeans, Colored Flowers on Black Top, Green cooking piny.
8. Blue Sweatshirt, Navy Blue Blazer, Black with colored pattern legins.
- vitamin, musli muffin, roast beef, white bread, mashed potatoes,
tuna melt (sandwich), whole grains, brown rice, pizza, sausage, mushrooms,
cheese, anchovies, twinkie, pressed-fruit roll, oatmeal cookies, butter,
zucchini lentil surprise, spring water, lentil beans, carob pudding cake,
- Favorite Lines:
- ``Yeah... I hate it when people give you stuff for free.'' - Clarissa
- ``Oh, who cares! It's just a tree!'' - Janet
- Clarissa: ``Why doesn't it just say, `Fire!
Get out of the house!' ?''
Marshall: ``Because it's a smoke detector.''
- ``I think I'll have a Twinkie.'' - Janet
- ``Gag me with a shovel!!'' - Clarissa
- ``Na-na, na, na-na! Suicide blonde!'' - Ferguson
- Favorite Scenes:
- Marshall tutors Clarissa on the finer points of smoke alarms
- Other good stuff:
- Weak Points and Mistakes:
- Clarissa lists
possible careers in the opening scene of this episode:
DYN: Various lists
for career plans Clarissa considers in other episodes.
- be a brain surgeon or plastic surgeon,
- be the first female rapper in space,
- own a gas station and convenience store,
- be Jane Pauley.
- The abbreviation ``CDNN'', for ``Clarissa Darling News Network'',
appears in this episode
(along with ``CBS'' for ``Clarissa Broadcasting System'').
DYN: Various lists
for other abbreviations used in CEIA.
- When Clarissa reports on the ancient tuna melt sandwich,
the school is called Theodore Tupper Junior High!
- Janet loses it in this episode because
her old dancer friend is in town and has stolen her routine.
DYN: Various lists
for other instances of Janet losing it.
- When Janet gives Clarissa money to order a pizza,
she actually hands Ferguson the money
and lets him make the phone call --
this just seconds after she witnessed how Ferguson
weaseled $15 out of Marshall for the ``Swahili tape''!
- Clarissa and Ferguson also cooperate in this episode
to give Janet a break from being a mom.
DYN: Various lists
for other times Clarissa and Ferguson have cooperated.
- Inside-Out Boy noted what he considered a mistake:
When the oatmeal cookies start burning,
Ferguson, Clarissa, and Marshall rush from the living room into the kitchen,
in that order.
In the next shot they enter the kitchen in the order:
Marshall, Ferguson, Clarissa.
Lars H. said that Marshall must have gotten in front of them
while running through the dining room that connects the two rooms
(as seen in
``The Cycle'' (#153),
- Adam Lieberman noted the following:
In this episode Clarissa poses the question,
``Where do socks go when they don't come out of the dryer?''
``Sam In Love'' (#124)
Janet finds all the missing socks in the couch
looking for Ferguson's birth certificate.
Despite this, in
``ESP R US''
Olivia suggests they disappear into another dimension.
top of page
Info Archives /
CEIA Episode Pages
CEIA: ``Haunted House'' (#106)
CEIA: ``Urge to Drive'' (#104)
Donald Lancon Jr
Page content last modified:
Sat, Aug 1, 1998