This site is no longer being maintained, unfortunately.
Most of the pages haven't been modified for years.
for the only part of this site
that is being kept up to date.
bottom of page
previous episode |
list of episodes |
- Production Date:
- Mar 91
- Broadcast Date:
- ?? ??? 91
- Running Time:
- 14:04 + 11:21 = 25:25
- Christmas cards episode
- ``Christmas Cards in May''
- ``The Drive to Drive''
- Plot Synopsis:
- Driven by the urge to buy a used 1976 apple-red Gremlin,
Clarissa and Sam get into a get-rich-quick scheme
and quickly start getting poor.
- Marshall is gearing up for the Boy Scout Jamboree,
which he wants to take Clarissa to since Ferguson's too young
(nevermind that she's a girl...);
Janet is working on a dinosaur project for the Children's Museum.
- Opening Scene:
- ``Was it Sigmund Freud who said all human beings
are motivated by the sex drive? No, maybe Madonna said it.
I don't know...''
/ The four major drives:
to eat pizza, buy clothes, sleep late, and drive.
- Closing Line:
- ``Now I know why they say comic books are bad for you.''
- Other Cut-away Segments:
- Clarissa Darling Business Update
- Happy Holiday Report
- Computer Stuff:
- ``Cards 4 Cars'' computer game
- Sam's Entrances:
- ``Hi, Sam.'' ``I've got the new shipment!'' [of comic books]
- Names for Ferguson:
- Marshall's Designs:
- Janet's Work:
- Dinosaur project.
- Patty Marx
- Maureen Thorp
- Guest Players:
- None credited
- Opening Credits:
- Closing Credits:
Created By Mitchell Kriegman
Produced By Mitchell Kriegman
Story Editor Mitchell Kriegman
Written By Patty Marx
Director Maureen Thorp
Line Producer Sarah Condon
Associate Producer Chris Gifford
Theme Song Performed By Rachel Sweet
Theme Music Composed By Rachel Sweet
Production Design Byron Taylor
Lighting Director Dick Weiss
Costume Designer Lisa Lederer
Creative Consultant Alexa Junge
Production Manager Jim Moroney
Unit Manager Jacqueline Davies
Art Director David Ellis
Associate Director Jim Scurti
Casting Rich Ross
Talent Coordinator Todd Denkin
Stage Manager Joshua Berger
Technical Director John M. Lutz
Technical Manager Tim Rounds
Audio Mark Schultz
Jim Van Winkle
Video Pete McIntyre
Cameras Rudy Carames
Boom Operators Mark Deadman
Bob Van Dorn
Lighting Board Operator Sean Mallon
Assistant Lighting Designer Chris English
Video Tape Lonnie Blackburn
Utility Steve Bunnell
Paintbox Artist St. Mars
Editor Rick "Matte Fill" Fernandes
Offline Editor Keith Bozarth
Post Production Sound Mixer Grant Maxwell
Post Production Supervisor Donick Cary
Post Production Coordinator Cynthia Albanese
Chyron Francie Elikan
Electricians Ben Fisher
Make Up Liz Spang
Hair Tish Simpson
Wardrobe Supervisor Jackie Lafler
Wardrobe Assistants John Cox
Property Master Debra Witt
Props Steve Clark
Stagehands Ed McMillan
Production Coordinators Randy Koshinskie
Continuity Margo Kent
Production Assistants Andy Calandrino
Video Game Created By Tim Burns
Additional Music By Dan Vitco
Music Consultant Roma Baron
Children's Education Provided By On Location Education
They Might Be Giants Poster
Courtesy Of Elektra Entertainment
Special Thanks To Jen Mac Industries
Executive Producers Geoffrey Darby
(C) 1991 MTV Networks
- Character Names:
- Sarge, the Soaperstein's collie
- Dr. Willer (???), whose car Clarissa washed
- Aunt Doherny
Other connections between episodes]
- the Wackensteins, possible babysitting employers
- Dunkin Dworkin, did a report on bankruptcy
- Horntrotter, a scout at the Jamboree
- Eustace, ditto
- Farnsworth, ditto
- Hunter, ditto
- Robertson, ditto
- Michaels, ditto
- Real-World References:
- Sigmund Freud,
Richie Rich comic book,
Boy Scouts of America,
7-11 (convenience store),
``The Sorcerer's Apprentice'' (similar music during card-delivery scene),
National Weather Center,
- ``All human beings are motivated by the sex drive.''
- Sigmund Freud? Madonna?
- Lyrics and Poetry:
- (thanks to Eric Last)
1. Black Legins, Yellow T-Shirt, Green Shirt, Black Headband.
2. Blue Denim Shorts, Blue Top, Blue and White Shirt.
3. Black Legins, Multicolored Skirt, Black Top, Red Tartan waiste coat,
Red & White Father Christmas Hat.
4. Blue Legins with small black dots, Blue Headband, Multicolored Top.
- Pizza, wheatgerm Slurpies, waxed beans, beef jerky, cake cube.
- Favorite Lines:
- ``Parents are such sticklers for the law.'' - Clarissa
- ``Dad... I'm not a boy... I'm not even a scout!'' - Clarissa
- ``You want me to work the late shift at 7-11...
just so you can buy some magical creature??'' - Janet
- ``Bite me!'' - Clarissa
- ``I'm not fond of any animal that looks the same backwards and forwards.''
- ``I don't think you need car insurance
until you're legally old enough to drive.'' - Clarissa
- ``May I be excused to freak out??'' - Clarissa
- ``Today we are not having an adventure!
Isn't that the greatest adventure of all?'' - Marshall
- ``It's a mergers and acquisitions kind of thing...'' - Clarissa
- Favorite Scenes:
- Clarissa interrupts Marshall's bathroom plumbing job
- Clarissa freaks out at the kitchen table
- Other good stuff:
- Weak Points and Mistakes:
- Sam talks directly to us (i.e., to the camera) in this episode.
DYN: Various lists
for other instances of characters (other than Clarissa)
speaking to the camera.
- Gum-wrapper chains are mentioned in a few different episodes.
DYN: Various lists.
- Clarissa says that Sam gave her a set of mint-condition hubcaps
``from Cher's Corvette'', implying (IMO) that they were stolen.
DYN: Various lists
for other instances of ``unwholesome'' behavior in CEIA.
- Cher is also mentioned in
``School Picture'' (#102),
``Dear Clarissa'' (#162).
- The letter carrier who
tells Clarissa and Ferguson to ``have an outstanding day''
is played by the same actor as the cop who tells the Darlings to
``have an outstanding evening'' in
``Cool Dad'' (#112).
- The old ``too much mail'' gag (complete with sped-up action)
is also used in
``Dear Clarissa'' (#162),
when the letters for Clarissa's advice column arrive.
- Clarissa's calculation about how much money she has saved is wrong:
53.32 + 13.50 + 5.87 + 20.00 + 150.00 = 242.69, not 242.64!
Later, when she computes how far she and Sam are in the hole,
she does it again:
237.64 - 168.24 - 123.50 - 3.99 = -58.09, not -50.09!
[Thanks to ...?]
- When Clarissa wants her to work two jobs to pay for the Gremlin,
Janet exclaims, ``Clarissa Marie Darling!''
DYN: Various lists
for other times Janet uses Clarissa's full name.
- When Clarissa is talking to Marshall about wanting a Gremlin,
she says, ``But it's important to buy American, right?''
Marshall replies, ``Absolutely!''
``Road Trip'' (#143)
they show Clarissa behind the wheel of the family car: a Volvo.
[Thanks to Noel Alfonso!]
- Marshall also does a squirrel impression in
``Road Trip'' (#143).
- In several episodes, including this one,
Clarissa imagines herself behind bars (see
DYN: Various lists).
``Clarissa Gets Arrested'' (#164),
she actually ends up in the slammer for real.
- While Janet and Marshall almost always
refer to Ferguson by his full first name,
Marshall calls him ``Ferg'' in this episode,
after Clarissa freaks out at the kitchen table.
top of page
Info Archives /
CEIA Episode Pages
CEIA: ``Clarissa News Network'' (#105)
CEIA: ``No T.V.'' (#103)
Donald Lancon Jr
Page content last modified:
Sat, Aug 1, 1998