This site is no longer being maintained, unfortunately.
Most of the pages haven't been modified for years.
for the only part of this site
that is being kept up to date.
bottom of page
previous episode |
list of episodes |
- Production Date:
- May 91
- Broadcast Date:
- ?? ??? 91
- Running Time:
- 12:44 + 13:12 = 25:56
- ``Genius Beckons''
- Plot Synopsis:
- Ferguson becomes unbearable (even more so than usual)
when he scores highly on an I.Q. test at school;
the rapid inflation of his ego leads to a five-year plan for world domination
and an appearance on the quiz show ``Brain Drain'' opposite Clarissa.
- Janet and Marshall (mostly Janet) try to encourage
Ferguson's intellectual growth;
Sam is taking care of an egg for Human Sciences class.
- Opening Scene:
- ``Okay. You're wondering about the glasses.
No, I'm not starting a British rock group. I'm just trying to look smart.''
/ Looking smart is all about accessories:
Thick glasses, big books, and the suffix ``-age''.
- Closing Line:
- ``Now I know what it feels like to be trapped in a Jello mold!''
[Then Ferguson and Clarissa get into a splash-fight.]
- Other Cut-away Segments:
- Computer Stuff:
- ``Brain Food'' computer game
- Sam's Entrances:
- ``Hi, Sam. Watch out for Elvis.'' ``Hey, what's up?''
- ``Hi, Sam.'' ``Hi.''
- Names for Ferguson:
- creatin brother
- Marshall's Designs:
- Janet's Work:
- Neena Beber
- Maureen Thorp
- Guest Players:
- James Michael Detmar as the host of ``Brain Drain'';
(?) as contestant Shelley Wurtenhoffer;
Jason A. Harger
as contestant Sheldon Wurtenhoffer [see also
``Can't Buy Love'' (#122).]
- Opening Credits:
- Closing Credits:
- Character Names:
- Mr. Futtstein, Clarissa's history teacher
- Mrs. Engleberger, Ferguson's teacher
``Sick Days'' (#113)]
- Mr. Smutney, Sam's Human Sciences teacher
- Shelley Wurtenhoffer, contestant on ``Brain Drain''
- Sheldon Wurtenhoffer, ditto
- Real-World References:
- ``It's not what you know that makes you smart;
it's knowing what you don't know.'' - Mr. Futtstein
- ``It's not what you know; it's who you know.'' - Sam's Dad [spoken by Sam]
- Lyrics and Poetry:
- Favorite Lines:
- ``You mean when Ferguson is picking his nose,
he's really thinking deep thoughts?'' - Clarissa
- ``You can cram for anything.'' - Sam
- Favorite Scenes:
- ``What if it's true?'' scene outside Ferguson's room
- Other good stuff:
- Weak Points and Mistakes:
- This is one of four episodes that start out with
Clarissa talking to us in the bathroom mirror.
DYN: Similar openings, endings, or stuff in between
for the others.
- This is one of the many episodes in which Clarissa uses the expression
``oh-be kay-be'' for ``okay''.
DYN: Recurrent phrases
for other episodes containing this phrase.
- Jason A. Harger,
who played contestant Sheldon Wurtenhoffer in this episode,
also played Ferguson's rich ``friend'' J. Elliot Fundsworth III in
``Can't Buy Love'' (#122).
- Clarissa and Ferguson are forced to cooperate (more or less)
on ``Brain Drain'' in this episode.
DYN: Various lists
for other instances of Clarissa and Ferguson cooperating.
- Just before the final splash-fight scene is paused
at the end of this episode,
Melissa's goggles slip off her face.
top of page
Info Archives /
CEIA Episode Pages
CEIA: ``Clarissa Makes a Cake'' (#110)
CEIA: ``New Addition'' (#108)
Donald Lancon Jr
Page content last modified:
Sat, Aug 1, 1998